Environmental stewardship and sustainability are at the core of Lake Katherine's mission, and important components of our Strategic Plan. Over the past year, LKNCBG has worked to increase the park's energy and water conservation and expand recycling opportunities for the community. Lake Katherine has recently:
- Introduced outdoor recycling bins throughout the park for cans and bottles, courtesy of Keep America Beautiful and Dr. Pepper Snapple Group
- Reduced energy consumption with a ComEd Smart Ideas Earth Month Grant, allowing for 95 LED bulbs and 3 Energy Star-certified ceiling fans to be installed
- Added an outdoor Goin' Green collection bin for recycling textiles and other items
- Joined Funding Factory in recycling used ink cartridges and cell phones
- Participated in the Savings Through Efficient Products (STEP) program from the Midwest Energy Efficiency Alliance, which will provide additional energy and water-conserving fixtures for our buildings in the upcoming year
- Been awarded a grant from the Illinois Clean Energy Foundation to explore efficient lighting options for the Nature Center in 2014, including 2 solar tubes (just installed) that now bring daylight indoors.